Gluten Free Baked Cinnamon Apple Crisp
Just because you’re gluten-free does not mean that you have to eat boring, uninteresting foods for the rest of your life. Like everyone, you deserve a treat and when you eat this dessert you won’t believe it’s not only gluten-free but has no refined sugar in it.
However, here’s an important tip for the apples in this dessert. I recommend you choose firm apples like Granny Smith or Pink Lady because those varieties will hold up well to the heat of baking without turning to mush.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45-50 minutes
6 large apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup real maple syrup
2 tablespoon 100% apple juice (sugar-free)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon. ground allspice
1½ teaspoon. fresh thyme leaves
¼ teaspoon. salt
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup almonds, sliced
1/3 cup honey, preferably local
3 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
To Serve: (Optional)
Vanilla bean ice cream or freshly whipped cream
1. Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F (180 degrees). Grease an 8” x 8” baking dish and set aside.
2. Place apples in a large non-reactive bowl and toss with fresh lemon juice. Add maple syrup, apple juice, cinnamon, allspice, thyme leaves, and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
3. Combine topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
4. Pour apple mixture into a prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Spread the topping evenly across the top in a uniform layer, as well like this…
5. Place into preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. If the top layer is nicely browned, cover dish loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes or until the apple crisp is nice and bubbling. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
6. Serve warm with some vanilla bean iced cream or freshly whipped cream, if desired.
This is a great gluten-free dessert to serve to guests. Don’t tell them it’s gluten-free until after they’ve eaten it and they almost won’t believe you… it’s that good!